What is it?
Nitrites (NO2) represent Nitrogen in a specific form during the nitrogen life-cycle. Nitrogen compounds dissolved in water are an important class of plant nutrients.
What do I need to know?
- Levels over 1 mg/L are considered dangerous
- It is natural to have some nitrites in water
- High levels could indicate runoff from nitrate fertilizers used in agriculture
- Nitrites versus nitrates is dependent on how much dissolved oxygen is there
- High levels causes extra plant growth, which then chokes out fish (because it causes lowered oxygen)
Nitrogen comes in many forms, and is an integral part to life.