What is it?
Nitrates (NO3) represent Nitrogen in a specific form during the nitrogen life-cycle, after Nitrites have been exposed to Nitrifying bacteria.
What do I need to know?
- Natural levels of nitrate are usually less than 1 mg/L
- Concentrations over 10 mg/L will have an effect on the freshwater aquatic environment
- 10 mg/L is also the maximum concentration allowed in human drinking water
- For a sensitive fish the recommended concentration is 0.06 mg/L
- High levels could be caused by agriculture run-off